Please Read This First!

The out-of-print albums that I post here are available for free! For many years, I used Megaupload to store my shares, but with their recent demise, I have switched to using MediaFire instead. If one of the shares is unavailable, please leave a comment requesting it and I'll re-upload it as soon as I can. If you have any problems, feel free to email me and I'll do my best to help!


Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Esquivel - Exploring New Sounds in Stereo (1959)

Update 03/02/2012: I've removed the share because this album has been released digitally by RitmoDisc S.A. and is available from Amazon.com, 7digital and iTunes. Show your support by buying it today!

Esquivel is back to crazy form with his fourth American LP. The title Exploring New Sounds in Stereo is wonderfully direct, as it declares plainly what goals Esquivel set out to achieve with this recording. The new sounds of many exotic instruments are explored here, including theremin, ondioline, glockenspiel, Jew's harp, buzzimba and harpsichord, along with an assortment of global percussive instruments.

The early Esquivel compilations of the 1990s made heavy use of this album's material. "Whatchamacallit" (released as a single at the time) and "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" are popular stand-outs. "Spellbound" features Esquivel's only use of the theremin.

There aren't a whole lot of Esquivel video clips online, but I managed to find this short that utilizes "The 3rd Man Theme." Shot recently at Coney Island, it evokes a nice late-50s/early-60s feel. Check it out:



This album and its follow-up, Strings Aflame, were recorded during the brief period that Esquivel had relocated to New York City's Upper East Side. A mono version of this LP, featuring slightly different arrangements, was also recorded and released simultaneously in May 1959 under the title Exploring New Sounds in Hi-Fi. Exploring New Sounds in Stereo was released on CD by Bar/None Records in 1997 as a two-fer with Strings Aflame.

Esquivel - Exploring New Sounds in Stereo (1959)
1. My Blue Heaven (2:51)
2. Bella Morra (2:22)
3. Boulevard of Broken Dreams (3:00)
4. Lazy Bones (2:42)
5. Spellbound (3:27)
6. All of Me (2:14)
7. Whatchamacallit (2:30)
8. La Ronde (2:24)
9. My Number One Love (2:52)
10. The 3rd Man Theme (2:23)

15 comments:

Lucky said...

Kevin - you did it again!!!

Mighty echoplex, thanks a lot for this record by Juan Garcia - never heard it...

Sincerely, Lucky

Anonymous said...

Man, Im really sorry to be boring you. But the problem is this "link protector", that apears before the megaupload's page, cause it doesnt work. Cause it always apears the message"the page cant be found", then there is no link to the arquive.
Really sorry, again, to be boring you.

Bassooner said...

Thank you for another Esquivel, I enjoy them all.

Zanas said...

Thanks! I hope next Esquivel will be "Cabaret Manana" :)

Lucky said...

zanas - 'cabaret manana' is just another compilation of some of esquivel's stuff. what plm is presenting here is the REAL DEAL, the original albums he put out for RCA back in the 50s/60s... :)

Kevin Sartori said...

Hey, I was just about to say that! Hehe, thanks for the clarification, Lucky!

Zanas said...

wow! appreciate that!

Anonymous said...

Im really sorry to be boring you. But the problem is this "link protector", that apears before the megaupload's page, cause it doesnt work. Cause it always apears the message"the page cant be found", then there is no link to the arquive.
Really sorry, again, to be boring you.

Zanas said...

Excuse me if i do right now something out rage :)

anonymous... catch the
Mirror...

:D

Kevin Sartori said...

No, that's cool zanas, I don't mind. But I just added a bit to my "Please Read This First!" header. If someone is having problems with Link-Protector, I can email them the direct Megaupload download link. I like using Megaupload because they don't randomly delete files and they keep track of the number of downloads. Which is nice, because then I can track how popular an upload is.

Thanks for the effort!

hazmania said...

Any chance for Strings Aflame? It's the on;ly one I don't have (I think.) Thanks for the great posts.

Kevin Sartori said...

Strings Aflame is coming up next. I'm posting the Esquivel albums I have in order of release. Stay tuned, it's coming!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the music

Bombin Chirrinchinchin said...

Please re-upload this great album! took a long time looking for it without success, I appreciate that very, greetings from mexico. -Carlos Torija

Kevin Sartori said...

Check out my update note at the top of the page, Bombin Chirrinchinchin. I removed the share because it's now available for purchase from Amazon.com, 7digital and iTunes. It's pretty inexpensive and it's certainly well worth the money!